2 x 8 piece cut up chicken
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
2 medium or 1 large yellow onions
2 cloves crushed garlic or frozen garlic cubes
3 small bell peppers – you get the bags of mixed-colored peppers, so I use different colored ones.
1 lb. sliced portabello mushrooms
2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 can artichoke bottoms
1 lb. grape tomatoes sliced into 1/4’s
2 Tbs. fresh oregano, chopped or 1 tsp. dried oregano
1 cup chicken stock – either home made or from a chicken cube
Remove the skin and fat from the cut ups and place the chicken pieces in a casserole dish.
Season them well with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
To make the sauce:
Slice onion and peppers into thin strips.
- Heat oil and fry onions till they are translucent. Add one tsp. salt and half of pepper.
- Add the garlic and the peppers and cook till peppers are starting to caramelize + 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and stir fry the vegetables for a couple of minutes until mushrooms begin to soften. Add the remaining salt and pepper.
- Drain the liquid from the artichoke bottoms, slice them into bite-size pieces and add to the vegetables.
- Continue stir frying for another minute and then add the diced tomatoes and the chopped oregano. Season lightly with a little more salt and pepper.
- Do not continue to stir the vegetables. Gently pour the chicken stock over the vegetables, allow the liquid to heat up quickly and immediately remove from heat. (You do not want the vegetables to boil in the liquid and get all soggy.)
Spoon the sauce over the chicken pieces and let them marinade in the sauce until you are ready to bake them.
Bake at 350 F for 1 and 1/2 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
This is delicious served with rice or quinoa.